In our ever-evolving world, packaging technology continues to push boundaries. One remarkable solution leading the way is the Bag-On-Valve (B.O.V.) aerosol system. Created for liquid and viscous products, this ingenious system has become a packaging game-changer. In this article, we’ll dive into the B.O.V.’s inner workings and explore its numerous advantages and applications across industries.
How the Bag-On-Valve Aerosol Works
The B.O.V. system’s concept is elegantly simple. It ensures a complete separation between the product and the propellant, usually eco-friendly air or nitrogen. This separation guarantees the product remains uncontaminated, maintaining its quality throughout its shelf life.
This system is typically housed in aluminum cans with a one-inch opening where the valve is securely crimped. The valve connects to a foil-based packaging bag with a multi-layer film laminate. Once the valve is crimped in place, compressed air or nitrogen is introduced between the bag and the can. This process, known as “under the cup gassing,” ensures the product and propellant stay separate, preserving their distinct identities within the package.
Advantages of the Bag-On-Valve System
The Bag-On-Valve aerosol system offers a multitude of benefits that make it a packaging frontrunner. Here are some key advantages:
- Superb Barrier: The four-layer laminate bag provides an exceptional barrier, preventing oxidation and safeguarding products prone to degradation.
- Complete Product Isolation: Products are hermetically sealed within the bag, guaranteeing their integrity remains intact.
- Safety: B.O.V. systems utilize non-flammable propellants, eliminating the risk of explosions or gas-related hazards.
- Hygiene and Sterilization: Its design allows for easy sterilization, making it ideal for pharmaceutical and personal hygiene items.
- Efficiency: Up to 99.5% of the product can be dispensed, reducing waste and maximizing utility.
- Versatility: B.O.V. systems dispense products from any angle with 360° actuation, offering controlled spray patterns for optimal results.
- User-Friendly: Unlike traditional aerosols, B.O.V. systems require no pumping motion, making them convenient and efficient.
- Environmentally Friendly: Hailed as the “GREEN” alternative to standard aerosols, this system is eco-friendly and 100% recyclable.
- Wide Range of Applications: The B.O.V. system accommodates various product types, from cosmetics to food, pharmaceuticals to household products, and can be used with standard actuators and aerosol cans.
Applications of the Bag-On-Valve Aerosol System
The B.O.V. system’s versatility shines through its diverse applications. If a product’s viscosity allows passage through the valve stem, it can find a home within this innovative packaging solution. Some noteworthy applications include:
- Sunscreen (SPF’s)
- Facial Cleansers
- Personal Hygiene Items
Pharmaceutical & OTC:
- Wound Washes
- Nasal Sprays
- Ear Washes
- Eye Washes
- First Aid Sprays
- Baby Care Products
- Cooking Oils
- Liquid Flavorings
- Salad Dressings
- Coffee/Tea Concentrates (with pending patents)
- Liquid Fire Extinguishers
- Air Fresheners
- Odor Eliminators
- Car Care Products
- Hunting Products
- Furniture Polish & Cleaners
In conclusion, the Bag-On-Valve aerosol system is a packaging marvel that has transformed industries.